Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Lessons from Uganda

The 4 month mark is quickly approaching and the thought of America makes me nauseous.What tears me up inside is the fact that im living in one of the worlds most impoverished countries, but one plane ticket later it all goes away. But what about them? What about the 35 million Ugandan's all begging for a ticket to see America with their own eyes. What makes ME so special. How do I go on living such a life of opportunity and complete luxury? I guess some answers are left to the lord.

My time here has been unforgetable. Pictures and stories can't do justice, and I don't know how to share such a sacred experience. I wanted to tie this together by quickly sharing a few lessons I will take back with me, since so many of you help to get me here.

- I have learned there is no currency like TRUST. Without it, your no good to those that surround you.
- Reguardless of culture, friends are priceless. Uganda remings me to be true to my beliefs, and to deserve rather then demand things from my life.
- With hard work and the right minds in place, miracels can and still do happen. No matter the size.
- Lastly, I would have to say service. I am certain God has high expectations for his children. Reguardless of one's economic level, social status, or country of birth, does the Lord not call us to stop and show compassion?

The psychology of poverty is so complex. So often those that suffer most; the poor, the humble, are the ones who are most resilient and derive so much happiness and joy from the simplest pleasures from life. These are the people I wish you could meet. They will change you forever. To give back, we have worked hard to develope projects and sustain them by community involment. In the past 4 months we have done the following:

- Painted 7 classrooms at Impact ministries to promote creativity and establish a leadership program among the students.
- Finish a rain water harvesting project to provide clean water to 250 primary age students.
- 2 weeks of training over 300 teachers from Eastern Uganda on how to incorporate practical science experiments using materials around us.
- Introduced the scientific method and opened the first science fair here in Mbale. Over 30 school attended with science projects.
- 2 day business seminars in Maluku to 75 youth and 40 adults. Bi-weekly trainings and radio broadcasting continues weekly.
- water outreaches to several remote villages educating on the importance of clean water to placing 20 water filters donated by "rain catchers."
- Blood bank with the Uganda Red Cross. Total doners: over 200!
- Health and fitness trainings at cure hospital every friday.
- Taught the concept of Virtical gardening to ladies of the slum dwellers association and Namatala.
- English classes three times a week to over 30 Ugandan's.
- Mzungu pancakes to help foster creativity in Business.
- Agriculture and women's health trainings in Bunabuyoka village to 95 adults.
- Contstructino of a school in Bunabuyoka in aim to indroduce education to the young children.
- Roofed the liahona school to increase the number of students.
- Youth empowerment seminars to sonset soccer academy and local schools in Mbale town.
- Dental camp for 300 students at Boma primary school.

There is a Hebrew saying that says "TIKUN OLAM TIKAH" which means repair the world, give HOPE. In the eyes of international development, if you can bring monitary contribution that's great. If you can bring intelectual capital, that also is great, but at the end of the day, it's educating and giving hope that empowers and fosters self reliance. This is what life is about. Not the fancy house, or the new car, or trying to be somebody your not. Not matter what problems I face in my life, or the "unstable" status of our country, Uganda will always be apart of me. Uganda will always be warm, always be bright, and always be green with life. The pearl of Africa it was called by British colonizers. The world may write off this little country, but I can't. Not after this. Words cannot thank you enough for your support that got me here. I hope you were able to follow the past few months with our team here in Mbale. I love you all and look forward to seeing you back in the states. THANK YOU!!

2 comments:

Duncan said...

We love you, brother Devin! You're example is a light upon a hill - thank you for bringing Uganda to us here in our own blessed country!

Stephanie said...

Thank you, Devan, for reminding us of what is truly important. So glad you had the opportunity to help in Uganda!